As part of envisioning the new Chinatown Food Street, the following three design concepts were submitted. Feedback on these concepts was solicited through this website, public exhibitions as well as focus groups.
A Multi-Sensory Experience of Chinese Culinary Delights & Heritage
A multi-sensorial experience, centered on food, which captures the diversity and rich heritage of Chinese culture. The new Food Street will:
Put Food First
- Tantalize the taste buds by showcasing the distinct and delicious cuisines of different Chinese dialect groups - Cantonese, Foochow, Hainan, Hakka, Henghua, Hokien, Nyonya and Teochew.
- Bring back the traditional food streets of Chinatown with its mobile stalls and street cooking, where one can experience food as theatre!
Provide a Holistic Food Culture
- Create a culinary museum that tells the story of the Chinese in Singapore through their food cultures
- Propose food related activities including - a Chinese cooking school, private dining halls, culinary book shops, food tours, cooking demonstrations, kitchen product shops and souvenirs, "sauce bar"
Showcase Chinese Culture
- Create a visually stimulating ambience inspired by the historical street markets and architecture of Chinatown
- Put on exciting cultural street performances linked to the Chinese festivals